Academic program FAQs

Click on a red "+" icon to see more information. Click on a red "-" icon to hide the detailed information.

Options for undergraduates

What are the major differences between the undergraduate certificate and the undergraduate minor that BTEC offers?

The undergraduate certificate is 12 credit hours and is available to both degree-seeking students and non-degree studies (NDS) students. This certificate is designed to be flexible, so students can explore different areas of the biomanufacturing field. 

The undergraduate minor is 15 credit hours and is only available to students in a degree program. The minor provides a comprehensive overview of biomanufacturing and trains students in key skills that are in high demand in the industry with a focus on current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP). 

Both programs are transcript recognized. For more information, see BTEC’s web page on Undergraduate Programs.

How do I officially declare that I'm pursuing the BTEC minor in biomanufacturing?

Students who meet minimum requirements may apply using the Minor CODA page.

How do I officially declare that I’m pursuing the BTEC undergraduate certificate?

Students in an undergraduate degree program can contact BTEC’s manager of student programs to officially declare the certificate.

Students who are not in a degree program need to apply as a Non-Degree Studies student first. The certificate in biomanufacturing is not a part of the NDS application. Once accepted into the NDS program, students can officially declare the certificate using this form (PDF). Forms can be sent to BTEC’s manager of student programs for processing.

Post-baccalaureate certificate

What are the prerequisites for entry into the post-baccalaureate certificate?

Students must have a bachelor's degree from an accredited university.  To meet all prerequisites required for courses in the certificate, students must have completed cellular biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry I, and organic chemistry II. 

Prerequisites at NC State University are:

If you took your prerequisite at another institution, please send a copy of your transcript to the manager of student programs for review.  

Can a student without a STEM background complete the post-baccalaureate certificate?

Yes, BTEC welcomes students with non-STEM bachelor's degrees to apply for its post-baccalaureate program.

What is the application process to get into the post-baccalaureate certificate program?

Students first need to apply as a Non-Degree Studies (NDS) student.  The post-baccalaureate certificate is not a part of the NDS application.  Once accepted into the NDS program, students can officially declare the certificate using this form (PDF). Forms can be sent to BTEC’s manager of student programs for processing. 

How competitive is it for NDS (Non-Degree Studies) students to get into the post-baccalaureate certificate program?

Entry to the post-baccalaureate (PBS) program is non-competitive as long as the student has completed all prerequisite courses with a C- or better. However, Non-Degree Studies students register last during each enrollment period and may have difficulty enrolling into courses. Students should contact BTEC’s manager of student programs in advance to discuss coursework. 

Can I count courses I took in my undergraduate program towards the post-baccalaureate certificate?

No, courses taken while an undergraduate student or taken at another institution can only be used as prerequisites for the post-baccalaureate certificate. A full 13 hours must be taken at the post-baccalaureate level to count towards completion of the certificate.

Master's degree programs

What graduate degree programs does BTEC offer?

BTEC offers a Master of Biomanufacturing (MR, non–thesis) and a Master of Science in Biomanufacturing (MS, thesis based). BTEC also offers graduate certificates in upstream biomanufacturing and downstream biomanufacturing and a graduate minor.

What is the deadline for submission of my application for the BTEC master’s program?

Priority applications for fall semester are due by March 1 of each year. However, applications will continue to be accepted through June 30 for fall matriculation. Spring applications have an Oct. 1 priority deadline, but applications may be submitted through the end of November.

Is there a GRE requirement for the BTEC master’s program?

No, students are not required to take the GRE.

Can I do the BTEC master’s program while pursuing another master’s or Ph.D. program on campus?

Yes, and up to 12 hours of a related program’s hours may be counted toward the BTEC program or vice-versa.

What are the prerequisites for the master’s program?

Biomanufacturing is a cross-disciplinary field. BTEC graduate students come from a variety of backgrounds including chemical engineering, biochemistry, biology, biomedical engineering, chemistry, genetics, and pharmaceutical sciences, among others.

Are MBA courses taken through the BTEC master’s program transferable to the NC State Poole College of Management MBA program?

Yes, students have the opportunity to complete an MBA in Biosciences Management through the Poole College of Management, and credits will transfer.

Is the Master’s in Biomanufacturing open to international students?

Yes, the BIOM program is open to international students.

Other questions related to graduate education

Do I have to apply to the NC State Graduate School for either the Upstream Biomanufacturing Graduate Certificate or the Downstream Biomanufacturing Graduate Certificate?

Yes, both graduate certificates require application to the NC State Graduate School.

Can credits from the graduate certificates transfer to the BTEC master’s program if I decide to apply and enroll in the master’s program?

Yes, all 12 credits of either graduate certificate will transfer into the master’s program.

Can credits from an undergraduate program count towards a graduate certificate?

No, all 12 credit hours must come at the graduate level.

Course enrollment

I am having difficulty enrolling in a course at BTEC. What should I do?

All questions about enrollment should be sent to BTEC’s manager of student programs.  Students should not need to contact the professor. 

Please note that most undergraduate seats and all graduate seats are reserved for students officially declared in one of BTEC’s academic programs.  Students in other academic programs should waitlist for a course and should plan for an alternative course in case they are unable to enroll.

I'm interested in taking a course at BTEC, but I'm not currently an NC State student and I don't plan to pursue a degree, minor, or certificate. How do I enroll?

Students can apply for the Non-Degree Studies (NDS) program.  Please note that NDS students enroll last, and available seats may already be filled.  Due to high demand, seats cannot be saved for students who are not officially pursuing a BTEC degree, minor, or certificate.

Tuition and fees

What are the tuition rates for the undergraduate, graduate, and post-baccalaureate programs at BTEC?

All BTEC academic programs follow NC State University's tuition schedule. Please see the NCSU Student Services Center Tuition and Fees web page for the university's current tuition rates and fees.

Fees for the post-baccalaureate certificate are charged at the undergraduate rate.