Applied Principles and Techniques of Depth Flow Filtration (DFF) and Tangential Flow Filtration (TFF) for BioPharm Downstream Purification
Register through our online system by selecting a link above.
*For Labs only please contact Melody Woodyard via email or phone: 919-513-8095.
|10% Discussion/group activity|
|65% Hands-on lab experience|
|50% Fundamentals and concepts|
|30% Industry applications|
|20% Emerging technologies|
This course can count toward your Professional Certificate in Biomanufacturing Science.
Why should you attend?
Through participation in this four-day comprehensive filtration course, you will learn the fundamental principles and optimum applied techniques for depth filtration (DFF) and tangential flow filtration (TFF) used today in biopharmaceutical downstream purification.
The one-day lecture is designed to help individuals gain a solid understanding of the parameters and factors that affect DFF and TFF membrane performance and product recovery for both cell clarification and UF/DF biopharmaceutical applications. Depth filtration (DFF) will cover polymeric membrane and matrix media technologies, and tangential flow filtration (TFF) will cover both flat sheet cassette and hollow fiber element configurations.
During the three-day hands-on laboratory workshop, DFF and TFF application trials will be performed using state-of-the-art benchtop systems. Two full-day sessions will be dedicated to cell clarification—with DFF on day one and by TFF on day two. Day three will focus on UF/DF by TFF. Data developed during these trials will be applied to a real scale-up system problem and SOP. The principles and techniques presented in the prerequisite lecture course will be applied in this workshop, which is limited to 12 participants.
Attend and you will learn
- About filtration technologies and formats currently available for biopharmaceutical downstream purification
- Current issues related to performance, scale-up, optimization, cleaning (CIP) and methods development through use of case studies
- How to perform required initial membrane and element characterization
- How to determine optimum operating conditions that meet trial objectives
- How to apply the results to make informed, systematic decisions for scale-up and/or process improvements
- How to perform process runs to include concentration and diafiltration with complete data acquisition and analysis
- How to perform Clean-in-Place (CIP) to achieve maximum membrane recovery
Who should attend
The workshop is designed for engineers, scientists, managers, technical personnel and researchers who require an in-depth review of filtration principles and their application to processes in the areas of process development, manufacturing and quality assurance/validation.
Attend and you will receive
- 29.75 hours of instruction (2.9 CEUs) – full 4-day course; 22.5 hours (2.2 CEUs) – 3-day laboratory workshop; 7.25 hours (0.7 CEUs) – 1-day lecture class only
- Notebook containing all course lecture and lab materials
- Morning coffee
- Afternoon beverage break
- Certificate of attendance
Together with BTEC, this lecture and laboratory course is presented by John Rozembersky, president of Rozembersky Group, Inc., an independent biofiltration consulting firm he founded in 2005. Mr. Rozembersky’s hands-on experience and in-depth knowledge of filtration and purification span close to 30 years with Millipore, Filtron, Pall and WaterSep. He is an internationally recognized authority in TFF in the biopharmaceutical sector from benchtop development to large-scale manufacturing for both flat sheet (cassette) and hollow fiber formats. His focus the past several years has been addressing the challenges in cell clarification applications and providing successful solutions using both DFF and TFF technologies.
- Full four-day course: $2,420
- Three-day laboratory workshop: $1,995 (One-day lecture is a prerequisite.)
- One-day lecture class only: $695
All courses are offered on site at BTEC, other than online courses. The Golden LEAF BTEC building is located at 850 Oval Drive on NC State University's Centennial Campus.
BTEC strongly prefers payment by credit card at the time of registration. BTEC accepts payment from all major credit cards including American Express, Visa, and MasterCard. If you are not paying by credit card at the time of registration, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements immediately after registering and note the following:
- If you wish to pay by company check or wire transfer, please note that payment is due within 10 days of registration and seats can not be held longer without payment or confirmation of a pending payment.
- If your company requires an invoice for processing, and the invoice needs to reference a PO number, please include the PO number in your email. Please note that a PO number will not hold a seat.
- If you wish to pay by wire transfer, please note that BTEC will add a 2% wire transfer fee to the total cost of the course.
- If no payment arrangements/confirmations have been received within 10 business days of registration, BTEC reserves the right to cancel registration based on enrollment demand.
Any additional questions prior to registration should be directed to email@example.com.
A 20% discount is available to:
- Employees of BMF companies
- Groups of five or more from one company registering for the same offering of this course
- Individuals registering for more than one course at a time
- Society of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology (SIMB) members
A 30% discount is available to faculty/staff working in academic environments.
A 40% discount is available for NIIMBL members for the "Hands-On cGMP Biomanufacturing of Vectors for Gene Therapy" course
Check out BTEC’s professional development certificate program for an additional way to save money on short course costs.
Short course cancellations
Cancellation by registrant
To cancel a registration and be eligible for a refund of course fees, you must notify BTEC by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 919-513-1697. Fees are refunded according to the following schedule:
- 100% refund – If notification is received at least 15 business days in advance of course start date
- 75% refund – If notification is received 10–14 business days in advance of course start date
- 50% refund – If notification is received 6–9 business days in advance of course start date
- No refund will be issued if notice is received 5 or fewer business days in advance of course start
Substitutions may be made up to two business days prior to the course start date. Notify the BTEC office by fax at 919-513-1697 or by e-mail to email@example.com. Please include the name and email contact for the replacement. Please note that BTEC is unable to honor substitutions for individuals taking discounted courses as part of the professional development certificate program.
Cancellation by BTEC
BTEC retains the right to cancel a professional development short course no less than 10 business days in advance of the scheduled course start date. Registrants will be notified by BTEC if a course is cancelled and will receive a full refund of registration fees paid. BTEC is not responsible for airfare penalties or other costs incurred due to cancellation.
Upon successful registration for a course, you will receive an automatically-generated email as well as another email from Melody Woodyard confirming your registration. If you do not receive these emails within two business days of registering for a course, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your registration.
Once registered, confirmed course participants will receive an email approximately two weeks before the scheduled course with detailed information regarding travel to BTEC, parking information, and a short pre-course questionnaire.