Hands-On Essentials of Automation for Biomanufacturing
(Online Prerequisite Course Required)
Register through our online system by clicking the link above.
|65% Hands-on equipment and software experience|
|30% Fundamentals and concepts|
|70% Industry applications|
Why should you attend?
To obtain knowledge and hands-on experience with industry-relevant process control equipment, hardware, control software, and documentation for control/automation of biomanufacturing operations. Engage in hands-on experiences with process sensors/equipment and their integration with a control system for enacting control strategies. Learn how to connect process equipment and I/O interfaces for use with a commercial software package.
Attend and you will learn
- How to progress through typical automation project sequence
- Become familiar with typical instrumentation/automation documentation such as PFDs, P&IDs, Loop diagrams, specification documents (URS, FRS, SDS, STP, etc), commissioning and FAT/SAT
- The difference between various control strategies applicable to bioreactor automation, including split-range control, and cascade control
- Hands-on experience with a distributed control system (DCS) architecture/hardware/ DeltaV software and how to use it to control process equipment for a lab scale bioreactor
- How to use various process sensors/equipment and integrate them with a DCS via I/O hardware
- How to calibrate of various sensors and loop checking
- How to navigate, utilize various HMI’s for control of bioreactor (lab scale), TFF (lab scale), and CIP (pilot scale) and operations
- Become familiar with utilities systems and pilot scale control room via guided tours
Prerequisite Online Course
A prerequisite online course offered through the International Academy of Automation Engineering (IAAE) must be completed before attending this course. The online prerequisite course costs $450. Please register for the online course and bring your “Certificate of Completion” to the hands-on course.
Who should attend
Scientists and engineers familiar with biomanufacturing processes, looking to obtain familiarity with process control/automation concepts/instrumentation/software related to the industry with roles in:
- Process development
- Manufacturing sciences
- R&D, and
Attend and you will receive
- 14 hours of instruction/activities
- Notebook containing all course lecture and lab materials
- Morning coffee
- Afternoon beverage break
- Certificate of attendance
- $450 for the online course prerequisite offered by IAAE
- $1,600 for Hands-on BTEC Course
This course was developed with a project award from the National Institute for Innovation in Manufacturing Biopharmaceuticals (NIIMBL) and financial assistance from the U.S. Department of Commerce, National Institute of Standards and Technology (70NANB17H002).
All courses are offered on site at BTEC, other than online courses. The Golden LEAF BTEC building is located at 850 Oval Drive on NC State University's Centennial Campus.
If a course is full: Waitlist policy
If a course you want to take is already full, you are welcome to email firstname.lastname@example.org and ask to be placed on a waitlist for that course. The waitlist is used to fill any seats that become available when individuals registered for the course are unable to attend. If one or more seats become available, individuals on the waitlist are contacted in the order in which they were added to the list.
In addition to ensuring popular courses remain full, waitlists provide a means of tracking interest and determining if additional sessions are necessary. BTEC makes every effort to schedule additional course offerings if sufficient people are wait-listed. If a new offering is scheduled, those on the waitlist are notified before registration opens to the public.
Placement on a waitlist does not commit individuals to attending a course. It simply ensures that they are given first opportunity to enroll if a seat becomes available in a full course and that they are among the first to know if an additional course offering is scheduled during the current year.
BTEC is unable to provide information about the number of those wait-listed for any given course or an individual’s place on such a list.
BTEC strongly prefers payment by credit card at the time of registration. BTEC accepts payment from all major credit cards including American Express, Visa, and MasterCard. If you are not paying by credit card at the time of registration, please email email@example.com to make arrangements immediately after registering and note the following:
- If you wish to pay by PO or company check, please note that payment is due within 10 days of registration. If paying by PO, please reference PO number in your email, but note that a PO number will not hold a seat.
- If no payment has been received within 10 business days of registration, BTEC reserves the right to cancel registration based on enrollment demand.
- BTEC will add a 2% processing fee to the total cost of the course for all PO or company check payments.
Any additional questions prior to registration should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A 20% discount is available to:
- Employees of BMF companies
- Groups of five or more from one company registering for the same offering of this course
- Individuals registering for more than one course at a time
- Faculty/staff working in academic environments
A 40% discount is available for NIIMBL members for the following courses:
- Hands-On cGMP Biomanufacturing of Vectors for Gene Therapy
- Hands-on Essentials of Automation for Biomanufacturing
Check out BTEC’s professional development certificate program for an additional way to save money on short course costs.
Cancellation by registrant
To cancel a registration and be eligible for a refund of course fees, you must notify BTEC by e-mail to email@example.com or fax to 919-513-1697. Fees are refunded according to the following schedule:
- 100% refund – If notification is received at least 15 business days in advance of course start date
- 75% refund – If notification is received 10–14 business days in advance of course start date
- 50% refund – If notification is received 6–9 business days in advance of course start date
- No refund will be issued if notice is received 5 or fewer business days in advance of course start
Substitutions may be made up to two business days prior to the course start date. Notify the BTEC office by fax at 919-513-1697 or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the name and email contact for the replacement. Please note that BTEC is unable to honor substitutions for individuals taking discounted courses as part of the professional development certificate program.
Cancellation by BTEC
BTEC retains the right to cancel a professional development short course no less than 10 business days in advance of the scheduled course start date. Registrants will be notified by BTEC if a course is cancelled and will receive a full refund of registration fees paid. BTEC is not responsible for airfare penalties or other costs incurred due to cancellation.
Upon successful registration for a course, you will receive an automatically-generated email as well as another email from Melody Woodyard confirming your registration. If you do not receive these emails within two business days of registering for a course, please email email@example.com to confirm your registration.
Once registered, confirmed course participants will receive an email approximately three weeks before the scheduled course with detailed information regarding travel to BTEC, parking information, and a short pre-course questionnaire.