Biomanufacturing Automation Fundamentals
Register for this course by selecting the date above.
|65% Hands-on equipment and software experience
|30% Fundamentals and concepts
|70% Industry applications
Why should you attend?
There is an increasing focus on automation in the biomanufacturing industry, therefore it is important to understand the inner workings and be able to better communicate with regards to automation and process control. This is critical for the design and development of new processes, and for the maintenance and improvement of a current process. This course provides fundamental knowledge and hands-on experience with process control instrumentation, software, and schematics for automation of biomanufacturing operations. This is an opportunity to see how process schematics/documentation translate to deployment of instrumentation in the field, as well as an opportunity to understand their integration into and programming within a commercial control software package.
Attend and you will learn
- How to interpret typical instrumentation and process automation schematics such as Process Flow Diagrams (PFD), Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID), and Loop diagrams
- Hands-on experience with DeltaV hardware and software which is a commercial distributed control system (DCS) used in the biomanufacturing industry
- How process sensors/equipment function and how they are integrated into the DCS to control a lab scale bioreactor
- Sensor calibration and loop checking
- Control strategies applicable to biomanufacturing automation, with a focus on engineering controls including basic feedback control (PID), split range, and cascade control loops
- Familiarity with utilities systems and pilot scale control room via guided tours
Who should attend
Scientists and engineers familiar with biomanufacturing processes, looking to obtain familiarity with process control/automation concepts, instrumentation, and control software common within the biomanufacturing industry with roles in:
- Process development
- Manufacturing sciences
Attend and you will receive
- 14 hours of instruction/activities
- Notebook containing all course lecture and lab materials
- Morning coffee and tea
- Afternoon beverage break
- Certificate of completion
- $1,875 for Hands-on BTEC Course
This course was developed with a project award from the National Institute for Innovation in Manufacturing Biopharmaceuticals (NIIMBL) and financial assistance from the U.S. Department of Commerce, National Institute of Standards and Technology (70NANB17H002).
All courses are offered on site at BTEC, other than online courses. The Golden LEAF BTEC building is located at 850 Oval Drive on NC State University's Centennial Campus.
If a course is full: Waitlist policy
If a course you want to take is already full, you are welcome to email firstname.lastname@example.org and ask to be placed on a waitlist for that course. The waitlist is used to fill any seats that become available when individuals registered for the course are unable to attend. If one or more seats become available, individuals on the waitlist are contacted in the order in which they were added to the list.
In addition to ensuring popular courses remain full, waitlists provide a means of tracking interest and determining if additional sessions are necessary. BTEC makes every effort to schedule additional course offerings if sufficient people are wait-listed. If a new offering is scheduled, those on the waitlist are notified before registration opens to the public.
Placement on a waitlist does not commit individuals to attending a course. It simply ensures that they are given first opportunity to enroll if a seat becomes available in a full course and that they are among the first to know if an additional course offering is scheduled during the current year.
BTEC is unable to provide information about the number of those wait-listed for any given course or an individual's place on such a list.
BTEC requires payment by credit card at the time of registration. BTEC accepts payment from all major credit cards including American Express, Visa, and MasterCard.
After registration, a payment receipt is automatically emailed. If you do not receive the email, please check your spam folders.
Any additional questions prior to registration should be directed to email@example.com.
A 40% discount is available for NIIMBL members for the following courses:
- Hands-On cGMP Biomanufacturing of Vectors for Gene Therapy
- Hands-on Essentials of Automation for Biomanufacturing
Check out BTEC’s professional development certificate program for an additional way to save money on short course costs. Any additional discount questions prior to registration should be directed to Serena Hodge, Industry Training Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cancellation by registrant
To cancel a registration and be eligible for a refund of course fees, you must notify BTEC by email to email@example.com or fax to 919-513-1697. Fees are refunded according to the following schedule:
- 100% refund – If notification is received at least 15 business days in advance of course start date
- 75% refund – If notification is received 10–14 business days in advance of course start date
- 50% refund – If notification is received 6–9 business days in advance of course start date
- No refund will be issued if notice is received 5 or fewer business days in advance of course start
Refunds will take 60–90 days for processing. Refunds requested more than 90 days after payment will be issued as a check.
Substitutions may be made up to two business days prior to the course start date. Notify the BTEC office by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax at 919-513-1697. Please include the name and email contact for the replacement. Please note that BTEC is unable to honor substitutions for individuals taking discounted courses as part of the professional development certificate program.
Cancellation by BTEC
BTEC retains the right to cancel a professional development short course no less than 10 business days in advance of the scheduled course start date. Registrants will be notified by BTEC if a course is cancelled and will receive a full refund of registration fees paid. BTEC is not responsible for airfare penalties or other costs incurred due to cancellation.
Upon successful registration for a course, you will receive an automatically-generated email as well as another email from Melody Woodyard confirming your registration. If you do not receive these emails within two business days of registering for a course, please email email@example.com to confirm your registration.
Once registered, confirmed course participants will receive a series of emails approximately two weeks before the scheduled course with detailed information regarding travel to BTEC, parking information, and a short pre-course questionnaire.