What we offer
The Analytical Services Laboratory at BTEC provides analytical support for biomanufacturing courses, process development activities, and industry contracts. Clients may choose from an assortment of general analytical assays and process-specific, custom-designed testing methods.
Capabilities of BTEC's analytical lab include the following:
- Gel electrophoresis
- Capillary electrophoresis
- Mass spectrometry, including MALDI-TOF, single and triple-quad mass spec, and Q-TOF mass spectrometry
- Quantitative PCR, and
- GCMS (gas chromatography mass spectrometry).
Assay development and validation services are also offered. Typical tests performed include:
- Protein quantity and purity
- Protein fingerprinting
- Spectral characterization
- MW determinations
- Host cell DNA contamination
- Amino acid analysis
- TOC analysis
- Bioburden, and
- Total protein
Equipment acquired recently by the Analytical Lab includes the following:
- The ClonePix system for celluar clone isolation
- The Cytation 5 system, an imaging plate reader system for cell-based assays, and
- The mini-TEM, which allows for the imaging of virus and nano particles
How we work — The project lifecycle
Analytical Services projects are managed in the same fashion as BTEC's Bioprocess Services projects. Analytical Services personnel first interview prospective clients to determine needs and then propose a path forward. A Testing Services Agreement or Sponsored Project Agreement is then drafted and finalized before work begins. For additional information, see Bioprocess Services.