Fundamentals of Mammalian Cell Line Development
Register through our online system by selecting the link above.
|10% Discussion/group activity|
|50% Hands-on lab experience|
|25% Fundamentals and concepts|
|50% Industry applications|
|25% Emerging technologies|
This course can count toward your Professional Certificate in Biomanufacturing Science.
Why should you attend?
Individuals attending this course gain a fundamental knowledge of the latest, most advanced cloning strategies vital to mammalian cell line development for protein production. Using Chinese hamster ovary (CHO) cells as the expression model, this course emphasizes the choice of expression vector, host cell genetics and physiology, and screening strategies to assure the highest production yields. Practical hands-on laboratory sessions include DNA cloning, cell transfection, selection/screening for best producer, and the expression/analysis of the protein of interest.
Attend and you will learn
- Current CHO cell-based expression platforms (DG44 and GS systems)
- Strategies for choosing the expression vector
- CHO cell based genetics and physiology to maximize protein production
- Mammalian cells transfection methods
- Selection of the recombinant clones
- Manual and automatic methods for screening the best producers
- Gene editing tools (CRISPR, TALEN, ZNF...) for Metabolic engineering
- Best nutritional and environmental conditions for maximum recombinant protein production
- Detection and analysis of the protein of interest (SDS-PAGE, Western blot, ELISA, Blitz...)
- Cell banking (cryopreservation) and quality control (mycoplasma detection...)
Who should attend
- Professionals working in biopharmaceutical environments who are seeking background knowledge of mammalian cell line development
- Professionals working in a research and development setting with new duties related to mammalian cell line development
- Scientists with experience in other aspects of molecular biology planning to use mammalian cells for protein production
- Those who hold an engineering degree with limited hands-on experience in molecular biology and genetic expression
Attend and you will receive
- 22.5 hours of instruction (2.2 Continuing Education Units)
- Notebook containing all course lecture and lab materials
- Morning coffee
- Afternoon beverage break
- Certificate of attendance
All courses are offered on site at BTEC, other than online courses. The Golden LEAF BTEC building is located at 850 Oval Drive on NC State University's Centennial Campus.
BTEC strongly prefers payment by credit card at the time of registration. BTEC accepts payment from all major credit cards including American Express, Visa, and MasterCard. If you are not paying by credit card at the time of registration, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements immediately after registering and note the following:
- If you wish to pay by company check or wire transfer, please note that payment is due within 10 days of registration and seats can not be held longer without payment or confirmation of a pending payment.
- If your company requires an invoice for processing, and the invoice needs to reference a PO number, please include the PO number in your email. Please note that a PO number will not hold a seat.
- If you wish to pay by wire transfer, please note that BTEC will add a 2% wire transfer fee to the total cost of the course.
- If no payment arrangements/confirmations have been received within 10 business days of registration, BTEC reserves the right to cancel registration based on enrollment demand.
Any additional questions prior to registration should be directed to email@example.com.
A 20% discount is available to:
- Employees of BMF companies
- Groups of five or more from one company registering for the same offering of this course
- Individuals registering for more than one course at a time
- Society of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology (SIMB) members
A 30% discount is available to faculty/staff working in academic environments.
Check out BTEC’s professional development certificate program for an additional way to save money on short course costs.
Short course cancellations
Cancellation by registrant
To cancel a registration and be eligible for a refund of course fees, you must notify BTEC by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 919-513-1697. Fees are refunded according to the following schedule:
- 100% refund – If notification is received at least 15 business days in advance of course start date
- 75% refund – If notification is received 10–14 business days in advance of course start date
- 50% refund – If notification is received 6–9 business days in advance of course start date
- No refund will be issued if notice is received 5 or fewer business days in advance of course start
Substitutions may be made up to two business days prior to the course start date. Notify the BTEC office by fax at 919-513-1697 or by e-mail to email@example.com. Please include the name and email contact for the replacement. Please note that BTEC is unable to honor substitutions for individuals taking discounted courses as part of the professional development certificate program.
Cancellation by BTEC
BTEC retains the right to cancel a professional development short course no less than 10 business days in advance of the scheduled course start date. Registrants will be notified by BTEC if a course is cancelled and will receive a full refund of registration fees paid. BTEC is not responsible for airfare penalties or other costs incurred due to cancellation.
Upon successful registration for a course, you will receive an automatically-generated email as well as another email from Melody Woodyard confirming your registration. If you do not receive these emails within two business days of registering for a course, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your registration.
Once registered, confirmed course participants will receive an email approximately two weeks before the scheduled course with detailed information regarding travel to BTEC, parking information, and a short pre-course questionnaire.