Chromatography Column Packing: Foundations and Applications
|25% Discussion/group activity|
|50% Hands-on lab experience|
|40% Fundamentals and concepts|
|30% Industry applications|
|30% Emerging technologies|
This course can count toward your Professional Certificate in Biomanufacturing Science.
Why should you attend?
A well-packed chromatography column is critical to chromatographic separations. Low quality chromatography column packing leads to uneven mobile phase distribution and poor resin contacting ultimately leading to lower yields, less separation and reduced product quality. This course is designed to explain and demonstrate the factors that influence column packing from both a theoretical and hands-on perspective.
Attend and you will learn
- Fluid mechanics of flow in packed beds
- Theoretical basis of mass transfer in packed beds
- The effects of incompressible versus compressible chromatography resin
- Different packing techniques
- Analytical methods for determining column packing quality
- Packing parameter selection to ensure a robust, reproducible packing procedure
Who should attend
- Production personnel responsible for column packing, writing packing procedures, and addressing column performance issues
- Manufacturing science/technical services personnel responsible for writing packing procedures and addressing column performance issues
- Process development scientists and engineers responsible for developing chromatography packing procedures or working with chromatographic columns at bench- and pilot-scale
- Systems engineers interested in the design and handling aspects of columns based on production operations
Attend and you will receive
- 18.5 hours of instruction
- Notebook containing all course lecture and lab materials
- Morning coffee and tea
- Afternoon beverage break
- Certificate of completion
All courses are offered on site at BTEC, other than online courses. The Golden LEAF BTEC building is located at 850 Oval Drive on NC State University's Centennial Campus.
If a course is full: Waitlist policy
If a course you want to take is already full, you are welcome to email email@example.com and ask to be placed on a waitlist for that course. The waitlist is used to fill any seats that become available when individuals registered for the course are unable to attend. If one or more seats become available, individuals on the waitlist are contacted in the order in which they were added to the list.
In addition to ensuring popular courses remain full, waitlists provide a means of tracking interest and determining if additional sessions are necessary. BTEC makes every effort to schedule additional course offerings if sufficient people are wait-listed. If a new offering is scheduled, those on the waitlist are notified before registration opens to the public.
Placement on a waitlist does not commit individuals to attending a course. It simply ensures that they are given first opportunity to enroll if a seat becomes available in a full course and that they are among the first to know if an additional course offering is scheduled during the current year.
BTEC is unable to provide information about the number of those wait-listed for any given course or an individual's place on such a list.
BTEC requires payment by credit card at the time of registration. BTEC accepts payment from all major credit cards including American Express, Visa, and MasterCard.
After registration, a payment receipt is automatically emailed. If you do not receive the email, please check your spam folders.
Any additional questions prior to registration should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A 40% discount is available for NIIMBL members for the following courses:
- Hands-On cGMP Biomanufacturing of Vectors for Gene Therapy
- Hands-on Essentials of Automation for Biomanufacturing
Check out BTEC’s professional development certificate program for an additional way to save money on short course costs. Any additional discount questions prior to registration should be directed to Scott Latus at email@example.com.
Cancellation by registrant
To cancel a registration and be eligible for a refund of course fees, you must notify BTEC by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 919-513-1697. Fees are refunded according to the following schedule:
- 100% refund – If notification is received at least 15 business days in advance of course start date
- 75% refund – If notification is received 10–14 business days in advance of course start date
- 50% refund – If notification is received 6–9 business days in advance of course start date
- No refund will be issued if notice is received 5 or fewer business days in advance of course start
Refunds will take 60–90 days for processing.
Substitutions may be made up to two business days prior to the course start date. Notify the BTEC office by fax at 919-513-1697 or by email to email@example.com. Please include the name and email contact for the replacement. Please note that BTEC is unable to honor substitutions for individuals taking discounted courses as part of the professional development certificate program.
Cancellation by BTEC
BTEC retains the right to cancel a professional development short course no less than 10 business days in advance of the scheduled course start date. Registrants will be notified by BTEC if a course is cancelled and will receive a full refund of registration fees paid. BTEC is not responsible for airfare penalties or other costs incurred due to cancellation.
Upon successful registration for a course, you will receive an automatically-generated email as well as another email from Melody Woodyard confirming your registration. If you do not receive these emails within two business days of registering for a course, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your registration.
Once registered, confirmed course participants will receive a series of emails approximately three weeks before the scheduled course with detailed information regarding travel to BTEC, parking information, and a short pre-course questionnaire.