Advanced Design of Experiments (DoE)
for Bioprocess Analysis
Registration is unavailable at this time.
|10% Discussion/group activity|
|50% Hands-on lab experience|
|80% Fundamentals and concepts|
|20% Industry applications|
Why should you attend?
Developed in response to requests from past attendees, this course introduces more advanced and modern concepts and techniques of DoE including designs with constraints (optimal designs), with hard to change factors (split-plot designs), with formulations (mixture designs) and for screening factors (definitive screening designs) needed to analyze and optimize bioprocesses. The course builds on the basic DoE concepts and experimental designs learned in the ‘Introduction to Design of Experiments for Bioprocess Analysis and Optimization’ course, presenting several case studies and hands-on activities by using JMP statistical software. Emphases is given to the application of DoE in the context of Quality by Design (QbD).
Note: We recommend that attendees have attended the ‘Introduction to Design of Experiments (DoE) for Bioprocess Analysis and Optimization’ or equivalent and applied some of that course’s designs or some DoE techniques in their own experiments.
Attend and you will learn
- How to build models from designed experiments or observational data by using regression analysis;
- How to evaluate design properties;
- How to screen factors and model processes by using the recently introduced definitive screening design;
- how to deal with hard to change factors;
- how to fit designs to experiments by using optimal designs;
- how to deal with designs involving mixture components;
- how to use JMP statistical software in modern DoE;
- how modern DoE techniques are applied in real bioprocess case studies.
Who should attend
The course is useful to anyone with DoE experience who is interested in bioprocess development and optimization including:
- Bioprocess development scientists and engineers
- Process validation staff interested in defining operating ranges and attribute specifications
- Other professionals with previous hands-on bioprocess experience who want to learn about DoE
Attend and you will receive
- 14 hours of instruction
- Morning break
- Afternoon break
- Certificate of attendance
Dr. Marcello Fidaleo is an assistant professor in the Department for Innovation in Biological, Agro-Food and Forest Systems at the University of Tuscia, Italy, where he teaches unit operations and design and analysis of experiments for the food industry. His research interests include membrane processes and enzymatic and microbial processes in the area of food biotechnology. He has carried out research as a visiting scholar at the Biotechnology Institute of the University of Minnesota and as a Fulbright scholar at the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering of North Carolina State University.
Dr. Fidaleo holds a master's degree in chemical engineering from the Sapienza University of Rome and a doctorate in food biotechnology from the University of Tuscia.
All courses are offered on site at BTEC, other than online courses. The Golden LEAF BTEC building is located at 850 Oval Drive on NC State University's Centennial Campus.
BTEC strongly prefers payment by credit card at the time of registration. BTEC accepts payment from all major credit cards including American Express, Visa, and MasterCard. If you are not paying by credit card at the time of registration, please email email@example.com to make arrangements immediately after registering and note the following:
- If you wish to pay by company check or wire transfer, please note that payment is due within 10 days of registration and seats can not be held longer without payment or confirmation of a pending payment.
- If your company requires an invoice for processing, and the invoice needs to reference a PO number, please include the PO number in your email. Please note that a PO number will not hold a seat.
- If you wish to pay by wire transfer, please note that BTEC will add a 2% wire transfer fee to the total cost of the course.
- If no payment arrangements/confirmations have been received within 10 business days of registration, BTEC reserves the right to cancel registration based on enrollment demand.
Any additional questions prior to registration should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A 20% discount is available to:
- Employees of BMF companies
- Groups of five or more from one company registering for the same offering of this course
- Individuals registering for more than one course at a time
- Society of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology (SIMB) members
A 30% discount is available to faculty/staff working in academic environments.
Check out BTEC’s professional development certificate program for an additional way to save money on short course costs.
Short course cancellations
Cancellation by registrant
To cancel a registration and be eligible for a refund of course fees, you must notify BTEC by e-mail to email@example.com or fax to 919-513-1697. Fees are refunded according to the following schedule:
- 100% refund – If notification is received at least 15 business days in advance of course start date
- 75% refund – If notification is received 10–14 business days in advance of course start date
- 50% refund – If notification is received 6–9 business days in advance of course start date
- No refund will be issued if notice is received 5 or fewer business days in advance of course start
Substitutions may be made up to two business days prior to the course start date. Notify the BTEC office by fax at 919-513-1697 or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the name and email contact for the replacement. Please note that BTEC is unable to honor substitutions for individuals taking discounted courses as part of the professional development certificate program.
Cancellation by BTEC
BTEC retains the right to cancel a professional development short course no less than 10 business days in advance of the scheduled course start date. Registrants will be notified by BTEC if a course is cancelled and will receive a full refund of registration fees paid. BTEC is not responsible for airfare penalties or other costs incurred due to cancellation.
Upon successful registration for a course, you will receive an automatically-generated email as well as another email from Melody Woodyard confirming your registration. If you do not receive these emails within two business days of registering for a course, please email email@example.com to confirm your registration.
Once registered, confirmed course participants will receive an email approximately two weeks before the scheduled course with detailed information regarding travel to BTEC, parking information, and a short pre-course questionnaire.