Michael Flickinger, Ph.D.
Dr. Michael C. Flickinger, Professor of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering and the BTEC Associate Director for Academic Programs, is an internationally recognized expert in upstream industrial bioprocess technology, cell culture technology, biochemical engineering, industrial microbiology, intensification of bioprocesses using biocoatings, biocontainment technology, and bioprocess facilities and equipment design.
Professor Flickinger has authored over 130 academic and professional publications, holds 20 patents and has trained more than 35 graduate students in biotechnology related to processs technology. He was the former Director of the National Cancer Institute's Fermentation Program, Founding Director of the University of Minnesota BioTechnology Institute, and is the Editor of the international Encyclopedia of Bioprocess Technology (1999), the Encyclopedia of Industrial Biotechnology (2010) and his forth coming advanced desk reference Upstream, Downstream Industrial Biotechnology (2013). His BTEC teaching efforts focus on development of new graduate courses related to emerging technologies in biomanufacturing and biocatalysis science and engineering as well as industry case studies in process development for biopharmaceutical or vaccine manufacturing.
- BEC 577/CHE 596-023/Advanced Biomanufacturing and Biocatalysis
- BEC 590/Industry Practicum in Biomanufacturing (Special Topics)
- BEC 595/Advanced Topics in Biomanufacturing
- BEC 601/Biomanufacturing Seminar
- BEC 620/Leadership and Preparation for Industry Internship in Biomanufacturing
- BEC 621/Communications and Industry Internship in Biomanufacturing
- BEC 669/Biomanufacturing Research Projects